How to Use Crystals In Your Life
Crystals seem to be getting everywhere these days. Celebrities like Adele, Victoria Beckham, Katy Perry & Gwyneth Paltrow are wearing their crystals on their sleeves, as it were, and helping to introduce both the beauty and more importantly, the healing potential of our jewels of the earth to a whole new audience.
In modern times, this popularity of using crystals as a potential healing modality is spreading rapidly as we move into an era of open-mindedness and a willingness to experience different possibilities in a search for “what actually works” for us in terms of healing and well-being as individuals.
I have been working with crystals for over 25 years now. Though I didn’t really know a thing about them back then, I used to have a piece of malachite sitting on my office desk (much to the amusement and bemusement of my colleagues) and it was only years later that I found out that it was probably doing a job for me. (see below). I have also been buying and selling crystals for over 10 years and one of the most common questions I have been asked once someone has chosen a crystal is “what do I do with it now?”. I certainly had no idea when I bought my first crystals and How to Use Crystals In Your Life remains an evergreen question for a lot of people who simply like them.
For me, crystals are quite magical and mystical, and I am firm believer in the possibility (or certainty in my understanding) that their special energy can work with our human energy fields in ways that can’t entirely be perceived or understood yet. However, I am also quite down-to-earth in how I view the mystical and magical (M&M) and I like to see that M&M working for myself in everyday life. So, in order to help you get to grips with some of the practical realities of how crystals can fulfil an everyday function, I’ve complied a few of the ways in which I use them
1. Next to your computer and other devices – crystals like malachite, black tourmaline, smoky quartz and shungite are good at soaking up negative energy, and when you think about how much negative energy comes through some of your devices then I’d say is essential to have a helpful crystal sitting between you and your device. Shungite is especially good at soaking up EMF’s and it’s well worth having a good size piece next to your wifi.
2. Infusing your water with crystal vibes – I have been doing this in an informal way by putting crystals in my (glass) water bottles and jugs to bring in the energy of particular crystal. You can also make crystal vibe water without even putting the crystal in the water, if you’re of a mind to. Now, there are plenty of companies out there like Be (www.bewater.com) who are selling bottles with ready-made crystal infusions.
3. Get it out and about in your house and not just for show. Sure, crystals look great and that’s important. They also serve a purpose as well. Amethyst geodes, or churches, are great to keep your space clear energetically, hold the space. Clusters and druzes (large flat pieces usually amethyst) are good to have around your space as each one of those points of them radiates out energy. Orbs of all sorts, pieces of labradorite, black tourmaline, smoky quartz (and I could go on) also help with the energy or where you live (or if you’re brave enough) where you work. 🙂
4. Pop them in your pocket. They are sitting in your energy field and certainly doing you a whole lot more good than having your mobile phone there! If you are someone who puts their hand in their pocket regularly then make the intention to pay a little attention to your crystal when you do that. Awareness is almost like an invitation for its energy to start working with you.
5. Wear them – get them next to your body so that the crystal energy has an opportunity to work with your energy. One of the easiest ways to do that is by wearing crystal jewellery, whether that is with pendants, rings, earrings or anything else that takes your fancy. Like anything in life, go with what you are drawn to in terms of both the crystal itself and the creator. It can be a biggie in terms of what you wear where on the body, certain crystals really resonate with certain chakras and colour is a rough guide on that, though certain crystals (clear quartz, moldavite and more do well anywhere they are placed). Generally speaking, whats feels right usually is right. I only wear, and also sell a bit of high-vibe crystal jewellery, most of which has been created by my friend Serap, and she also creates a lot of her own high-vibrational magic at KuyaDesigns on Etsy
6. And the essential bottom line is relax with the crystal – if you believe it’s a vibrant source of energy like I do, then be with it. Whether that’s meditation, sitting with in a comfy chair, having it on your bedside table or any other variation you can think of, take a little time to be with it and welcome it into your space.
Remember that crystals aren’t just a recent fad. The use of crystals dates back as far as there are records of history itself. They were used in Biblical times, throughout Ancient Egypt, Rome and date back to all ancient cultures. Ancient Egyptians used Carnelian, Lapis Lazuli, Peridot and other crystals in their jewellery and are also said to have anointed tombs with turquoise and topaz and made makeup with lapis lazuli. Roman soldiers carried Tiger Eye to encourage bravery in battle. Healing with crystals is also recorded in India’s Ayurvedic records and in traditional Chinese medicine from around five thousand years ago.
Doug Buckingham (me) is a reasonably regular blogger, and a crystal fanatic, buying and selling crystals from his home in Bucks, and sometimes from my website www.dougbuckingham.com and part of the collaborative adventure www.magicrystals.com
And I also have a couple of Crystal Healing workshops running on the weekend of Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th October
And finally, if you want to find out anything more about How to Use Crystals In Your Life then email me
Love & gratitude